The Movies, and John Apparite--but mainly The Movies

Author I. Michael Koontz's musings on the Movies, The World We Live In, and the world of 50's "Superagent" John Apparite, protagonist of his acclaimed spy series. Blog topics include the Movies (criticism and commentary), The World We Live In, and "Superagent" John Apparite, Cold War espionage, American history, and whatever else piques his fancy. See www.imkoontz.com for even more. And thanks for visiting!

Thursday, October 19, 2006

What so great about THE GENERAL? This may be the oldest film I'll ever discuss on this blog, but if you have a chance to catch it (I DVR'd it off TMC), you simply have to.

A lot of people are turned off by silent films, but once one is used to them, they open up a whole world of cinematic options. In junior high, I checked-out an 8mm projector from the Public Library and their copies of INTOLERANCE and BIRTH OF A NATION. And though I was but 14, and each film about 3 hrs long, I loved them. And I've loved silent films ever since.

Some essentials: METROPOLIS, NAPOLEON, JOAN OF ARC, THE CROWD, THE LAST LAUGH, and THE GENERAL.

Of the above, THE GENERAL is the only comedy and, better, it's hilarious. I mean laugh out loud hilarious. Buster Keaton, in my opinion, puts Chaplin to shame. His timing is impeccable, his gags clever. And there's a reason he was called 'Ol' Stone Face.' He gets more laughs out of his dead-pan expressions than any man in the history of film.

I won't describe the gags, but they're clever and effortlessly done. And the climax of the film, which involves a train chase with THREE actual trains (some of the stunts, done by Keaton, are rather impressive and daring), hundreds of soldiers, a cannon (one of the funniest bits), a girl (who Keaton keeps stepping on), a wayward sword--Oh God, there's a million of them.

Most really old films are dated--even the Chaplin films I find hard to watch. But THE GENERAL is just as great now as it was back in 1927 when it was released. If you have Net-Flix, get it--NOW. You won't think of silent film comedies the same way again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home